I have some excellent news to share. The FDA recently approved Gardasil 9, Merck’s HPV vaccine, for the prevention of head and neck cancers caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV). In the US, this particular cancer is the most prevalent type of the six different cancers caused by HPV. There are about 13,500 new cases.
Oral, head and neck cancer refers to cancer that develops in the mouth, throat, voice box, sinuses, nasal cavity or salivary glands. In 2020, it is estimated that 650,000 people will be affected by head and neck cancer (HNC) worldwide. Globally, there are roughly 330,000 deaths due to HNC each year. Smoking and drinking have.
HPV, or human papillomavirus, is a very common viral infection that can be acquired from childhood to adulthood. There are many different strains of the virus, and they all live in thin, flat cells called epithelial cells. These cells are found on the skin’s surface and the lining of the mouth and throat, as well.
By: Stewart Lyman, Ph.D., HPV-related Tonsil Cancer Survivor and HNCA ambassador You don’t have to be an oncologist to know that fighting cancer is tough. Nearly 1.7 million Americans will be diagnosed with cancer this year, and about 600,000 will die from the disease. But here’s some good news: overall U.S. cancer deaths have been.
Head and Neck Cancer Alliance Board Member Jason Mendelsohn presented at last week’s HPV Roundtable Conference, #HPVRT18 — a coalition of organizations and individuals dedicated to reducing the incidence of HPV-attributable cancers. In his presentation to more than 100 attendees, Jason, an HPV-attributed throat cancer survivor, shared, “I wish there was an HPV vaccine when.
Dr. Cherie-Ann Nathan HNCA Board Member and Head and Neck Surgeon Frank Summers Survivor of HPV-derived squamous cell carcinoma tonsil cancer Scott Vetter Survivor of HPV-related tongue cancer Scott Vetter And Dr. Nathan Discuss HPV-related head and neck cancers
- HNCA is Partnering with Stand Up To Cancer to Fund for Cancer Research
- HNCA Ambassador and Oral Cancer Survivor, Jacki Rogozinski, Shares Her Experience with Lymphedema (Part 1)
- HNCA Ambassador and 12-Year Cancer Survivor, Mike Metzler, is Fundraising for the HNCA Through His Book Royalties
- HNCA Ambassadors Participate in Congressionally Directed Medical Research Programs’ Peer Reviewed Cancer Research Program for the Department of Defense
- Emergency Respiratory Care and Resuscitation in Laryngectomees